Sunday, June 6, 2010

In Search of Banksy

For one of my final projects, I made a walk though the contemporary art scene in London. The research (aka visiting museums and galleries) was so great.

I really like post-modern and contemporary art, and I think it is a very misunderstood genre. A lot of people still question whether it is even art (only those who are un-enlightened), and I enjoyed the chance to dive right in and get a better understanding.

I focused on street art/graffiti (the right term is still debated), and more specifically, Banksy graffiti in London. Unfortunately, a lot of Banksy pieces have been removed by the government or property owners or have been tagged over due to turf wars.

If you don't know who Banksy is (in other words, if you've been living under a rock . . . :)  j/k), he is a prominent stencil graffiti artist who has done work all over the world and is known for his anonymity, simply going by Banksy and never giving interviews. No one even really knows who he is.

I found one of his Hoodie pieces, and I am still searching for a couple other ones. I did promise a picture of one of Banksy's rats.

3 comments:

  1. Update: Unfortunately this Banksy has recently been painted over by a rival artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes!!! awesome! I want a print of this photo when you get home! It's too bad ever artist isn't as good as banksy, the streets would be a whole lot more interesting.

    sounds like a fun project to work on.

    ps. crappy that people tag over banksy's, it's like painting over the sistine chapel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the Hoodie one. It wasn't even a cool tag - just black with the rolling stones logo and said something about seeing a banksy and needing to paint over it.

    ReplyDelete