Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Three weeks in . . .




So, after three weeks in London, I decided to start a blog about my time here. It's much easier than writing a thousand different e-mails and having to e-mail photos and stuff.

Anyway, so far, it has been fantastic to live here. Campus is in the East End of London, so it's a fun, eclectic neighborhood - kinda arty, and no, not like Urbana. There's this cool art gallery about 5 minutes down the road that has shown artists like Jackson Pollock, Mark Rothko, and Picasso - you don't know me very well if you don't understand my love of almost all Pollock works. When I went, there was an exhibition about individual and group identity that was pretty interesting. The cool thing is, they get a lot of up-and-coming artists and local London artists. Another cool thing is almost all of the museums are free, so I've already been to the Tate Modern, Tate Britain, National Galleries, British Museum, and there are a whole lot more on my list to see.


Another place that I have been frequenting is St. Paul's Cathedral.


We had free passes to go in and walk around and decided to climb to the top - 530 steps later, I was out of breath, but the view was amazing.




I also went down into the crypt, where I decided that it would be weird to be buried in the crypt of a cathedral. While I'm not religious, a friend and I did attend a couple Evensongs at St. Paul's, which was . . . interesting, to say the least. The singing was cool, but the readings were kind of intense. Also the first night, the organ solo at the ended sounded like something right out of a Tim Burton movie or a slasher movie.

Classes so far have been cool. For my architecture class, we go on little outings every other week. Last week we went to the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, and the Foreign Office.

It's been nice on the weekends to go visit the markets. There are a
few big name markets near us that every Londoner knows to frequent - Brick Lane, Petticoat Lane, and Spitalfield. I think in the coming weeks we are going to go to West London and try out Nottinghill and also search for a good secondhand bookshop.

Luckily we found a bookstore that was closing and had mega sales - 3 books for 4.99 pounds. I ended up getting some good classics - Crime and Punishment, Nicholas Nickleby, and Madame Bovary. I know, pretty deep stuff. But I had to get at least one Dickens novel because I am visiting the Dickens' house in London for one of my classes, and I feel the need to read something of his while I'm there, so Nicholas Nickleby it is.

I've already got a couple trips planned with one of my flatmates - Belfast in Northern Ireland, and then Dover and Canterbury.

Just yesterday, we watched To Kill a Mockingbird, the pastor does a Monday night free movie screening. Anyway, that was the second time I've seen it, and while I've decided that Gregory Peck definitely only belongs in black and white, I absolutely love that movie. Don't get me wrong the book is better, but I think I'll have to purchase that movie when I get home, and reread the book, again, for the fourth or fifth time.

Much more is on the agenda for the coming days and weeks, so stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Colleen,

    Great blog. This will help mom and I to keep up on your travels and experiences. I look forward to numerous and regular updates - between studying for classes of course ..... smile. Enjoy the journey and the life experiences while you are there.

    Love - Dad

    ReplyDelete