Saturday, February 13, 2010

Of white cliffs and literary tales

Last weekend, I went on a day trip to Dover Castle and Canterbury that the school planned for international students.

Dover was awesome. We toured the war tunnels, which are these underground barracks, operating room, strategy rooms, etc. that are in the white cliffs. I had no idea that these tunnels even existed. Then we just walked around - a very hilly area - and went up the tower and got a beautiful view of the coast. As much as I love living in the city, it was nice to go to the coast.

Canterbury was interesting. We were all starving after walking around all day, and one of the guide people with us just wanted to tell us a little about the history before setting us loose. My friend pointed out a girl with a doughnut, and I honestly wanted to steal it.


Anyway, we went to this Cornish pasty place, took a quick survey, and got free lunch. So once I decided that I was no longer so hungry that I was going to steal food from a child, we set out to see the city. I didn't want to go to the cathedral, and instead just wandered around on the streets. A friend and I found a cool used book store, and I got Pickwick Papers for £2. It was a fun little town.


Still on the agenda . . . a post about today's day trip to the ocean, market purchases, and the best cookies. Ever.

2 comments:

  1. this is great colleen, sounds like a spectacular time over there. (you probably are competition for my photographs, these are spectacular!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been having soo much fun.
    And not true, about my photos being competition, but they are pretty good for an amateur.
    :)

    ReplyDelete